(FEBRUARY 1, 2022) – The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has issued a WATCH for an Extreme Cold Weather System approaching on the evening of Wednesday, Feb. 2nd and continuing through Sunday, Feb. 6th. Temperatures are forecasted to be below freezing with icing conditions in the ERCOT region.
AEP Texas is taking the following steps to prepare for possible outages:
- We are closely monitoring the weather as it develops. Our districts are on alert, and AEP Texas crews are on standby to restore local transmission and distribution outages.
- Business partners will be available to supplement our work force needs.
- Storerooms are working to make sure replacement equipment is available.
- We have postponed several current projects and identifying equipment that can be placed back into service
- We are identifying equipment that is out of service for maintenance that can be placed back into service.
What customers can do to prepare:
- Consider any downed power lines to be energized and dangerous. Please stay away from the area and report the hazard by calling 1- 866-223-8508.
- Customers on life support or other medical equipment that relies on electricity need to have a backup plan in the event of an extended outage. We will do everything possible to restore power as quickly as safely possible; however, we cannot guarantee how long restoration may take.
- Icy roads are expected to make driving treacherous in some areas. Please stay off the roads, if possible.